Saturday, September 4, 2010

More of my favourite quotes about travel and life




“Travel of not just the seeing of the sights. It’s the change that goes on – temporary or permanent – in the ideas of living”
“Traveller sees what he sees. Tourist sees what he came to see”
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware”

“The true mistery of the world is the visible, not the invisible” (Oscar Wilde)
“As you walk, eat and travel be aware of who you are, otherwise you’ll miss most of your life” (Buddha)
“I soon realized that no journey carries us far unless – as it extends into the world around us – it goes an equal distance into the world within” (Lillian Smith)
“Life is too important to be taken seriously” (Oscar Wilde)
“The criterion is how you treat the weak. The measure of civilized behaviour is compassion” (Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari)
“Safari in Swahili means “journey”. It has nothing to do with animals. Someone on safari is just away and unobtainable and out of touch” (Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari)
“Home became a routine. I was a sitting duck in my predictable routine: people knew when to call me, they knew when I would be at my desk. I was in such regular touch it was like having a job – a mode of life I hated. Being available at any time in the totally accessible world seemed to be a pure horror”  (Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari)
“My typical travelling mood: hoping for the picturesque, expecting misery, braced for the appalling. Happiness was unthinkable for although happiness is desirable it’s a banal subject for travel” (Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari)
“Why did this man’s zealotry make me so uneasy? He seemed a nice fellow. He said he accepted everyone. But he didn’t listen. He was a true believer. His zealotry worried me because it was zealotry. Zealots never listen” (Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari)



No comments:

Post a Comment